Case Study - Peterborough
In 2017 Thorne International Boiler Services Ltd were contracted by Viridor and Peterborough City Council to install a 40kW district heating system, to supply heat from the Viridor EfW plant to the adjacent city council building. The project would fall under the Renewable Obligation Scheme (ROC) and therefore would have to be installed by the 31.03.2017 to comply.
PETERBOROUGH, UK - WASTE TO ENERGY DISTRICT HEATING PLANT (Viridor)
This was a three month renewable obligation certificate (ROC) project where we designed, supplied and installed a 40kW district heating project for the council buildings next door to the EfW plant. The scope of works for TIBS included the pipework installation of LP steam to the district heating skid, the design, supply and installation of the DH skid including a bespoke tube heat exchanger, the pump assembly, the C&I package and a bespoke control panel. We also designed, supplied and installed the pipework between the two buildings and the domestic system connections in the council building.
The scope of works for TIBS was to design, supply and install the following system elements:
- LP steam pipework with a C&I package to supply heat to the DH skid
- A bespoke steam to water tube heat exchanger
- A pump set with a C&I package to pump heat through external pump
- The installation of external pipework (underground and over-ground) a distance of 150m
- A trace heating package to project the external pipework in winter
- A domestic plate heat exchanger and C&I package for the council building circuit interface
- A bespoke control panel to control and monitor the DH system in the EfW building with integrated alarms, heat meter readings, a graphic display and a Modbus connection the plants control room interface.
- Installation and commissioning instructions
- Onsite training
The project was ran under CDM with TIBS being the Principle Contractor, Fichtner Consulting being the Principle Designer and Viridor / Peterborough City Council being the client. A civil company called Skanska prepared all the ground work for the pipework installation between the two building under the guidance from TIBS. The project was a success with Viridor / PCC achieving their ROC's qualification before the 31-03-2017.